The mission of the 514th Air Mobility Wing is to recruit, train and sustain Reserve Citizen Airmen to fly, fight and win.
To Prepare Reserve Citizen Airmen to support air mobility through aerial refueling, airlift, aeromedical evacuation and mobility support. Stationed locally, serving globally
The 514th AMW is an associate Air Force Reserve wing located at McGuire Air Force Base, N.J. The wing flies aircraft assigned to the active-duty 305th Air Mobility Wing, also based at McGuire. The 514th AMW shares the responsibility of maintaining and flying the KC-10A Extender and the C-17 Globemaster III. If mobilized the wing becomes a part of Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
The 514th AMW is organized into key staff agencies, an aeromedical staging squadron, an aerospace medicine squadron assigned directly to the wing and three attached groups and one geographically separated unit: the 514th Operations Group, which consists of the 76th and 78th Air Refueling Squadrons, the 732nd Airlift Squadron, the 514th Aeromedical Evacuation Squadrons, the 514th Operations Support Squadron and the 514th Air Mobility Operations Squadron; the 514th Maintenance Group, which consists of the 514th Maintenance Operations Flight, the 514th Maintenance Squadron, and the 514th and 714th Aircraft Maintenance Squadrons; the 514th Mission Support Group, which consists of the 514th Force Support Squadron, the 514th Logistics Readiness Flight, 514th Civil Engineer Squadron, the 514th Security Forces Squadron, and the 35th and 88th Aerial Port Squadrons.
The 514th AMW is an associate unit that works side-by-side with the active-duty 305th AMW to fly and maintain their KC-10A Extenders and C-17 Globemaster III's.
Approximately 2,000 people are assigned to the 514th Air Mobility Wing.
The 514th Troop Carrier Wing was organized at Birmingham Municipal Airport, Ala., in June 1949 and moved to Mitchel Air Force Base, N.Y., in October 1949. Reservists were then equipped with the C-46 Commando. Recalled to active duty during the Korean conflict, members of the 514th flew stateside support missions until February 1953, when the wing was returned to reserve status. In March 1961, the 514th moved from Mitchel Field to McGuire Air Force Base, N.J., and changed aircraft to the C-119 Flying Boxcar. There were then three Troop Carrier Groups assigned to the wing. The 903rd was assigned to McGuire with the 904th and 905th being assigned to Stewart N.Y. and Bradley Conn. In August of 1968, the 903rd became the first associate military airlift group in the eastern United States as crews transitioned to the C-141A Starlifter. The 514th was next re-designated a military airlift wing (associate), with groups at McGuire AFB, N.J., Charleston AFB, S.C., and Dover AFB, Del. In July 1973, the 903rd was inactivated and personnel were transferred to the direct command of the 514th. Other groups became separate wings.
The restructuring of the Air Force major commands changed the unit from a military airlift wing to an air mobility wing. The mission change resulted in the addition of the KC-10A Extender, an air refueling aircraft. The wing also maintained its airlift and aeromedical missions already assigned. In October 1993, the 78th Air Refueling Squadron was assigned to the 514th AMW. A year later, in October 1994, they moved from Barksdale AFB, La., to McGuire AFB, N.J. The 76th Air Refueling Squadron was also established in October 1994. Most of the squadrons' personnel came from Barksdale, as well as, multiple squadrons already assigned to McGuire.
Wing Leadership Biographies