HomeContact UsQuestions


Collapse All Expand All

Can a non-U.S. citizen join the U.S. Air Force?

Enlistment into the U.S. Air Force, or any branch of the U.S. military, by citizens of countries other than the United States is limited to those foreign nationals who are legally residing in the United States and possess an Immigrations and naturlization Service Alien Registration Card (INS Form I-151/551 -- Commonly known as "Green Card"). Applicants must be between 17 and 35; meet the mental, moral and physical standards for enlistment; and must speak, read and write English fluently.

Note: The U.S. military branches cannot assist foreign nationals in obtaining admittance into the United States. Questions concerning immigration to the United States should be asked of the U.S. Embassy. Only after immigration procedures are completed and an applicant is legally residing in the united States may an application for enlistment be accepted.

Furthermore, in order to be commissioned an officer in the U.S. Air Force, one must be a native-born or naturalized United States citizen.


How can I obtain historical information on the USAF?

Questions can be sent to one of the following agencies: 

United States Air Force Historical Research Agency 
(This office is the repository for heraldry information)
600 Chennault Circle
Maxwell AFB AL 36112-6424
Phone: (334) 953-2966 
DSN 493-2966 
United States Air Force Historical Research Agency

Air Force History Support Office
B-3 Brookley Avenue, Box 94
Bolling AFB DC 20032-5000
Phone: (202) 404-2264
DSN 754-2264 
Air Force History Support Office

For the Department of Defense and other Military Departments, historical files are stored in repositories under the jurisdiction of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). Information from records maintained by NARA is available to the public. For a nominal fee, NARA will reproduce documents of interest. 

National Archives and Records Agency
8th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington DC 20408
Phone: (202) 523-3220
National Archives and Records Agency

Another source is the Superintendent of Documents, United States Government Printing Office (GPO). The GPO stocks and sells over 24,000 different publications, periodicals, and subscription services. Topics range from accidents and accident prevention to zoology, and include military items relating to the topics of interest mentioned in letters to the Department of Defense. A listing of Government periodicals and subscription services sold by GPO is available to citizens at no charge. Citizens are also encouraged to avail themselves of resources of local public and school libraries, many of which routinely receive GPO listings. Their adddress is: 

Superintendent of Documents, United States Government Printing Office (GPO)
Washington, DC 20402
(202) 512-1800 
Government Printing Office


How can I obtain information on Air Force aircraft, units, space, special topics and weapons?

The Air Force maintains a comprehensive collection of fact shseets on these subjects. Visit the Air Force Link Factsheetspage to find out more. For more specific information on sites, visit the Air Force Link sites page.


Where can I obtain military memorabilia such as patches, uniform items, mugs, etc?

The Air Force can't provide official uniform items, but several private companies exist to meet your needs. The following list does not constitute endorsement.

Action Embroidery Corporation
1325 W. Brooks Street
Ontario, CA  91762
(909) 983-1359

Air Force Museum Foundation, Inc.
PO Box 33624
Wright-Patterson AFB, OH  45433
(513) 258-1218

Battle Zone Ltd
PO Box 266
Towaca, NJ  07082
Fx (201) 402-7226

Headquarters for Military Supplies
131 East 6th Street
Los Angeles, CA  90014

Ken Nolan, Inc.
16901 Milliken PO Box C-19555
Irvine, CA  92713
(714) 863-1531

Marketing Dynamics Inc.
19717 Mayhill Terrace
Gaithersburg, MD  20879
(301) 670-0884 Fx (301) 990-3646

How do I become an Air Force Officer?

Interested in becoming an Air Force officer? There are several options available. 1. Obtain an appointment to the Air Force Academy. 2. Join the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) in the college you attend. 3. Enlist in the Air Force after graduating from college and attend the Officer Training School (OTS) to win your Air Force commission. To learn more about becoming an Air Force pilot, visit the Air Force Academy Admissions page or the Pilot Candidate Selection Method page.